Apply to be a Math Education Revolutionary!
Do you want a join a math education startup on a revolutionary mission to help 5000 kids enjoy math 5 years above grade-level?
Bravo Math is that startup.
My name is Andrew and I am the founder of Bravo Math. I've been tutoring math for over ten years. I'm looking for people who want to expand students' minds, learn a ton about teaching, and maybe even grow a radically ambitious business. No experience required. You just have to be awesome. :)
Mission of the Math Education Revolutionary
Bravo Math is building the best damn math course ever called "Counting to Calculus". It will be a collection of about 60 lessons and amazing resources designed to convert mathphobes into calculus-lovers and people like YOU into amazing tutors. You will help build “fun hard” lessons for students and open-and-go resources for teachers.
Initial Job Duties & Workflow
- You will receive drafts and outlines of math education resources and asked to create digital versions and answer keys.
- You will receive particular learning outcomes and seek, test, create, and collect activities to achieve them.
- You will watch learners use your activities and iterate accordingly.
- In the last 5 or so minutes of each work session, you will report your hours and productivity through a Google Form.
- About once/week, we will meet 1-on-1 to discuss your work.
- Create videos and publish videos, some for the next tutor and some for the next student.
- Propose and implement new ways to contribute to the mission. Bravo Math is a small and new company, so applicants who show potential to grow with the business will be favored.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Will pass a Vancouver Police Department Information Check.
- Desire to work with kids and/or in education.
- Excited for the uncertainty of a new business, the building of something from nothing.
- An enthusiastic personality that inspires learners.
- Willingness to learn and self-examine. Ability to speak painful but important truths tactfully.
- Can work autonomously and follow instructions. Determination and resourcefulness.
- Culture and Values compatibility.
- If you want to work with students in-person, you must be able to get around the Vancouver area.
- If you want to be trained as a tutor, you must sign a waiver agreeing to have your interactions with students video-recorded.
NOT Applicant Requirements
- Significant math skill. As long as you can count fluently and accurately within 100, you can still join this company as an activity-tester. I will value your ability to empathize with struggling learners!
- Work experience of any type.
- Good grades in school.
- Impressive references.
- Any particular age, though you must be 19 or over to be legally in charge of kids.
The default will be CA$18/hour to start unless you are exceptionally well-qualified. As you become better at the job, you will propose taking on more responsibility, performing at a higher level, and earning more. Those earnings will scale with how well you advance the mission and will thus be uncapped.
I am not a fan of typical job interviews.
This is what will happen instead.
- Read the Bravo Math Blog. Decide if you want to learn more and get involved. Email me (email@example.com) if you'd like to chat.
- Apply! (Link below.) All thoughtful applicants will receive a personal email response and a token $25 eTransfer payment whether or not a job offer results.
- If your application signals a good fit, we'll meet in-person to negotiate a temporary contract of around 10 or 20 hours.
- When that's over, we'll talk a longer-term deal and be like: